Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Five Favorites - January 2017

Hey Friends - I've been trying for ten minutes but I can't think of anything to say to get this post started. January feels a little dull to me this year, or maybe I'm the one that's feeling a little dull, now that all the holiday excitement is over. Here are some things that we have been enjoying though:

1) My parents gave us this beautiful print for Christmas that fit perfectly on an empty wall in our bedroom. I love seeing it there every day.


 2) The long reign of Peppa Pig is finally coming to an end for Swede, and we've started watching movies together. The first one she loved was The Polar Express which we watched almost every day during the last three weeks of December. Now we've started into the Disney classics. Cinderella is the current favorite. She wants to be called Cinderella, her shoes are glass slippers, and the car is a carriage. Next up - My personal favorite: Beauty and the Beast. We rarely sit through a whole movie but will watch 30-45 minutes at a time and finish in 1-3 days.

3) My Crock-Pot, which I'd had for four years & was even then a hand-me-down in trade for a hair dryer from my friend Ashley, stopped working on New Year's Eve. I remember the exact date because I had to do the BBQ sauce & grape jelly meatballs for our appetizer party in the oven instead of the Crock-Pot as planned. We use the Crock-Pot at least once a week so I didn't waste any time getting a replacement. I decided on this Cuisinart which has a great feature that you can brown meat directly in the Crock-Pot before adding the rest of the ingredients.

4) I don't really need these Bloom Daily Sheets since I have an Erin Condren Life Planner that I use and love, but... I realized that I use the ECLP more for weekly/monthly planning and I was making daily to-do lists on post-its, so I picked this up when I bought a new Meal Planning pad for the fridge. I really like the format. Taking the time to fill out the Meal section in the morning has really helped me to cut back on mindless snacking.


5) Jonathan has reported back that the fancy schmancy French press I gave him for Christmas really IS that much better, so that's something to keep in mind for the coffee-lover in your life.

PS: Not to leave Abel out, because I realize this has become another Favorites from the Family post - I'd say his favorite thing right now is these shiny new front teeth!



That's all! What are your favorite things this month?

25 comments:

  1. Love the tree print!! It's gorgeous! I couldn't live without a slow cooker...we use it as least two or three times a week! The browning option sounds useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crock-Pot meal days are my favorite because there is no prep during the crazy hours from 4-5 p.m. which makes life so much easier. I only started using my regularly 1-2 years ago so always on the lookout for more good recipes - Do you have a good blog or cookbook you recommend?

      Delete
    2. I love this blog: http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/slow-cooker/

      but honestly, with our slow-cooker, I usually just stick something like a roast beef, pulled pork, or whole chicken (comes out like a rotisserie chicken!) and make separate sides when I get home :) I am planning a post on this sometime!! haha

      Delete
    3. oops - here's another favourite! http://www.superhealthykids.com/recipe-category/slow-cook/

      Delete
    4. Thanks you for the links - Please do a post with your favorites! And I didn't know I could do a whole chicken - That is genius!

      Delete
  2. Good to know on the French press, we use ours daily but it's just a cheap one.
    Love the tree print!
    Too funny about being called Cinderella lol. Avery is overly obsessed with princesses still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even funnier is that she's been referring to Abel as her step-sister...

      Delete
  3. I couldn't live without my crockpot! That is awesome that the new one can brown the meat!

    I'm not a coffee drinker but Jerry is. He bought a French press and loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It's really nifty. :-)
      I am a latte only drinker but for regular coffee drinkers I guess the French press is the way to go!

      Delete
  4. He is looking so grown up with the front teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowwwww! I loved his gummy smile. We are fast approaching the toddler stage, or maybe we're already in it. *Sniff*

      Delete
  5. Abel is so cute! We got a new crock pot for Christmas because our old one was on its last leg and it's so nice having a new one, but I love the sound of the browning feature of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think he's pretty cute too. :-)
      Full disclosure: I haven't using the browning feature yet but I intend to the next time I do beef stew or chili, etc. Curious to see if it really adds so much flavor like the recipes say...

      Delete
  6. My crockpot works like a charm, but one day I want one with a timing feature so it can switch over to warm. So many recipes take like 6 hours on low, which BTW, WHYYYY would you ever make a recipe that couldn't be in there for the whole work day, that's like literally the point of the crockpot. I digress. Some work just fine for 8 hours, some really don't, but sadly didn't find out until I tried.

    I wanted to register for a french press on our wedding registry, but don't know if I would take the time to use it - I suck down way more coffee than it can make in a sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have an old Crock-Pot! Even my old one did have the switch-to-warm feature. But 6 hour recipes would be so frustrating without that feature! I'm always perplexed when I see 2-3 hours Crock-Pot recipes - What is the point?
      I bought my husband the normal sized French press since he's the only one who uses it - 32 oz I think, but I did see there is a larger size available.

      Delete
  7. I've heard that a french press makes a huge difference!! I might have to think about getting one. Love that tree print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only drink coffee in latte form but my husband is a very serious purist about his coffee and he says the French press is the way to go. I like that it's simple and doesn't take up much space.

      Delete
  8. I love my crockpot too, but I'm realizing lately that we need to get a bigger one. I'm finding that with the one we have, most recipes don't fit entirely in it which gets super annoying as I often end up ladling out extra liquid after the fact. Those bloom sheets (and the meal planning ones) are so cute! And your handwriting is really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We debated whether to get the 4 or 7 qt with the new one and went for the 4 qt. Our old one was a 3.5 qt and that was usually enough. Often I'll cut back the recipe a little - I'm pretty fast & loose with recipes anyway - It's nice to have lunch leftovers but we (mostly J) don't want to be eating the same thing for days on end.
      Re: Handwriting, I'm actually really vain about my handwriting, Haha, so thanks! ;-)

      Delete
  9. I should really use my crockpot more, maybe I just need some recipes.lol. My favorite thing this month is reading blogs on my iPad now. I got a new one for work so they left me have my old one (still only 3 years old) and it is SO much better than reading on the small screen on my phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the comments above Heather linked a few good blog sources for Crock Pot recipes!
      I hardly ever read blogs on my phone, I agree it's just too small! So much nicer to use an iPad, or I often read them on my real computer during work breaks.

      Delete
  10. Hehe kids are definitely ones to re-watch movies. My youngest sister did that with Nemo and Monster's Inc. heheh Glad you got a new crock pot after the old one broke. That seems like a GREAT feature!! Wow. I find that a lot of crockpot recipes I try... I do not love. :( I'd love to hear any favorites that you have!! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do a post with my favorite crock-pot recipes - I agree that some I've tried are pretty mediocre.
      We are definitely in the watching-movies-over-and-over phase!

      Delete
  11. Titles and opening lines are the worst, right?

    I am working from home today so had french press coffee. I'm glad your husband is loving his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I was just a blog reader I read a post when someone was talking about the difficulty of opening lines... I definitely did not understand the problem back then!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.