Monday, January 2, 2017

New Year's Weekend

Hey Friends - Happy New Year! It's here. 2017.

We had a nice low-key long weekend to close out 2016 and start 2017. On Saturday - A five run at the gym and then a trip to the library with the kids. A snowshoe hike with Abel and GB.


NYE Snowshoe

And then - A fun New Year's Eve party with my parents. We made appetizers and played Ticket to Ride.

The appetizer menu, for posterity:

    - Cheesy Southwest dip
    - Apple & Brie puff pastry bites
    - Bell pepper & Parmesan Bruschetta
    - Grape jelly & BBQ Meatballs


Grammy and Abel

Snacks!

On Sunday - Eggs Benedict for breakfast. Church. A relaxing tea & book moment for me while the kids napped. Oh, and we knocked out Swede's New Year's Resolution which was to go to the supermarket. [Not sure why she says supermarket because I always call it a grocery store.]

The joy of simultaneous nap time


New Year's Day shenanigans with my best girl

On Monday - Another five mile run at the gym. Another snowy hike with GB. We wandered around downtown and seriously contemplating buying a Kidoozie Funtime Tractor from the toy store even though it was just Christmas.

Abel & Horsey the Cow


The Strater Hotel in downtown Durango


January 2017 TBR List

What's next? I'm trying to get in the habit of waking up before the kids to exercise and shower. I think I might try to read one non-fiction book per month. And I've decided to update the "Food" page with our weekly meal plans. I think it'll be helpful to have all the links to my tried-and-true recipes in one place. Here's what we're having this week:

Mon: Spanish Chickpea Stir-Fry from Real Simple
Tue: Creamy Vegetarian Enchilada Pasta from Budget Bytes
Wed: Pizza - Kale Pesto, Mozzarella, Tomato
Thu: Creamy White Chicken Chili from Gimme Some Oven
Fri: Rubens [I always try to have the most "fun" meal on Friday.]

I'll be back on Thursday to talk more about my goals and plans for 2017!

12 comments:

  1. Happy new year!

    Love Ticket to Ride (actually, board games in general...).

    I also really enjoyed Better than Before -- I have her Happier book, but haven't started it. Have you read other Gretchen Rubin books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read all Gretchen's books - I refer to her as my "guru." :-) I like them all but I think Better than Before is the best. I think it really synthesizes HOW to make changes that anyone can apply vs the other books are a little more focused on HER specific circumstances.

      Delete
  2. I love that her resolution was to go to the store - too funny!

    All of those appetizers sound amazing! I always do boring old dip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swede looks so much like you! We also played Ticket to Ride on NYE along with a few other games :) It was fun!! We love that game! Looking forward to hearing what you think of Better than Before!
    PS - I love that Swede already met her New Year's resolution ;) tooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, She's so much cuter than me. ;-)
      Ticket to Ride is so fun! We like both America and Europe.
      I am appreciating Swede's low expectations - a candy cane for Christmas and a trip to the grocery for New Year - Haha, I know it won't always be this way!

      Delete
  4. Ticket to Ride is so much fun and all of your appetizers sound delicious! It sounds like an overall great weekend of relaxing and productivity going into the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Ticket to Ride is my favorite board game ever. We like both the US and Europe version. Can't wait until the kids are old enough to play... Wait actually I can because I don't want them to grow up too fast!

      Delete
  5. I am new to your blog and loved reading it this morning! I love Colorado! Your family is adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hey Thanks! And thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you found me. :-)

      Delete
  6. Very few things are better than puff pastry bites in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great New Year! I love having little appetizers with loved ones. :) That hotel is GORGEOUS. I saw it on your IG and couldn't get enough! :) Happy New Year! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.