Tuesday, February 28, 2017

2017: February Check-in

Friends, I tell you - February and March are the hardest months of the year for me. It's my busy season at work plus this is when winter starts to feel really long and dreary. It seems like we should be heading into spring but there is still a long way to go.

Given that caveat you might be expecting me to report that February was a complete disaster! But that's not the case. It's just that I can tell things are starting to fray around the edges. I'm not eating quite as well or getting quite enough sleep. I missed a couple workouts. I'm not quite a patient or mindful or budget-conscious as I'd like to be.

This is my ninth busy season so none of this is unexpected. My strategy is: HOLD ON. Don't panic. Do the best you can. Realize that things will slide but don't give up entirely.

Moving on the February report - The four categories I'm planning to check in monthly on are: Exercise, Mood, Books, & Budget.

But first... Just because I love this sweet face so much!


Exercise

The Goal: My official goal for 2017 is to PR the half marathon, but aside from that I like to exercise most days to be healthy and feel like my best self. I try to run 3x/week and do 21 Day Fix workouts 3x/week.


The Reality: I ran 59 miles in February (up from 53 miles in January) and I started my official training for the Shiprock Half Marathon on May 13th. I realized that the 21DF workouts have become a little rote after six months so I poked around on YouTube and found some similar but different (and free!) workouts by FitnessBlender (Thanks Leigh!) and BodyFit by Amy. I did 10 total cross-training workouts in February.

Mood

The Goal: My goal is to be more mindful, to be more present, to single-task, and to spend less time on my phone. The word of the year is REST.


The Reality: It'll probably come as no surprise that this is the area that has suffered the most as I've gotten busier at work. I'm still trying to present, especially when I'm with the kids, and single-tasking has become even more important as I try to be as efficient as possible, but I've definitely been more anxious and tense. I have been successful at decreasing my phone use to <30 minutes per day though!


Books

The Goal: I decided to try to read one non-fiction book per month this year.


The Reality: Yes! I read two non-fiction books this month - I'll tell you more about them in the next Show Us Your Books link-up on March 14th. Here's my TBR for March:


I'm half-way through The Hating Game and it's super cute.

Budget

The Goal: My goals here are a) Don't buy any clothes for myself until May, and b) Be more careful with random discretionary spending.


The Reality: I have been successful at (a) for FOUR months now, which is probably a record, although I did buy new running shoes. For (b) - I kept track of things I bought that we didn't exactly need, all of which are for Swede this month: 1) a couple new puzzles as I mentioned in my February Favorites, 2) Boden gave me $10 for my half-birthday so I bought two short-sleeve t-shirts for summer, and 3) I decided to try a three month subscription to Lillypost to get some fun new books.

Swede picked out this dog t-shirt herself and it's a new favorite.


Also! I have been keeping the Food page updated with new recipes we've been trying for dinner and weekend baking projects, and the first month of the Pen Pal Project was really fun! [Anyone who is interested in that should message Steph the Bookworm on Facebook and she can get your hooked up!]

That's all! Are you still holding strong to your goals for 2017?

15 comments:

  1. Glad you are liking the fitness blender workouts! I love that you can do them from home and don't require strange equipment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm glad you recommended them.

      Delete
  2. You are killing it on the budget goal. I was hoping to do better there myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a big reason is that I don't have that much time to shop right now, but I'll take whatever works!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you're doing GREAT! I need to make myself a budget goal like that, where I don't buy myself any new clothes for a certain amount of time.

    I LOVED The Hating Game! It was one of my favorites last year. I'm glad you're reading it. I love your nonfiction goal too. I really got into nonfiction a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my nonfiction is self-help or parenting - I wish I could get into like history/biography but I find them generally boring. I'd rather read historical fiction about real people/events.
      The Hating Game was super cute!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you did great on your goals! Interested to hear about the books you read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Come back on March 14th to talk about books! :-)

      Delete
  5. I need to try Fitness Blender! I am taking a mini running break so maybe I'll finally have time ;)
    You've done so good not shopping! I should try that goal, Chad might like that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The FB workouts are really good.

      Delete
  6. Hello adorable rocket ship baby picture :) I love Fitness Blender - so accessible! I'm glad you are enjoying the Hating Game! Please share your thoughts on The Brutal Telling too!! It was such an intense one in the series!! The Danish Way of Parenting sounds so interesting!!

    Good luck getting through this busy season. Summer is just around the corner, ish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love his little smile. :-)
      I had to buy The Brutal Telling because randomly it was the only book in the series my library didn't have, but I can't just skip over it!

      Delete
  7. Those babies have the brightest eyes!
    Way to go on these goals!!
    Did you read Orphan Train by Kline? I loved it so I can't wait to read her new one!! 59 miles in a month is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I did read Orphan Train and really liked it so excited when I found out about her new book (and that it came in so quick from the library hold)!

      Delete
  8. Oh! That seems pretty good so far! That's awesome! I love Swede's dog shirt, and I am enjoying the pen pal thing too! Good luck hanging on and doing self care during your busy season! I know how that can be. For me it's June! Ick. Your running progress and phone use is amazing. I got the app... some days my useage is out of control. Mostly that when I am home on Tues. I watch youtube videos on my phone.. for hours while I do other things. Yikes! ha XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.