Thursday, February 16, 2017

A Belated Valentine's Day Post

I know I'm a little late to the Valentine's Day party but I decided to join in the Show Us Your Books chat on Tuesday and share a few thoughts on Valentine's Day today.

I've never been that into Valentine's Day as a lovey-dovey holiday. The fanciest official Valentine's Day celebration was that Jonathan and I went to see Romeo & Juliet at the Colorado Ballet several years ago. But usually it's more like maybe (and that's a big maybe since the kids) I'll try to make a nicer dinner at home. I guess I've been in the It's-just-a-made-up-holiday-by-Hallmark camp all these years.

However! I love having fun little traditions with the kids and this gives me another opportunity. Also, I like the idea of celebrating everyone and everything we love. Swede's answer: Mommy and Daddy, our house, and BREAKFAST! [We were eating breakfast at the time.]

Some things we (aka Swede and I because Abel is too young to get it) did this year:

1) We made baked doughnuts with vanilla glaze and Valentine's sprinkles one weekend, and Linzer cookies the next.




2) We've been enjoying some Valentine's Day books, especially Here Comes Valentine's Cat and The Day It Rained Hearts.

3) Getting Valentine's Day cards from grandparents in the mail is very fun!

4) Swede had her first Valentine's Day party at preschool. We picked up these Peanuts cards for her to give to her friends since she loves the Peanuts movie and holiday shows. She wore her most Valentine-y outfit that day too!


Every year I say that this will be the year I'm going to get that adorable heart-shaped waffle iron, but this year, again, I did not. I have grand plans of doing a fun Valentine's breakfast with heart-shaped chocolate chip waffles and whipped cream and raspberries, but weekday mornings are pretty rushed around here. Maybe next year! Or maybe the next year that Valentine's Day falls on a weekend.

That's all! I hope that your Valentine's Day was filled with love and fun.

20 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely Valentine's Day! :) I got your note as well! This pen pal thing is so fun! :) I've always wanted to try making linzer cookies. Maybe I will for Christmas?! :) Hmmm... not sure if I should write you back what I did... or comment it! hhaha but we had a good night. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Write me back!!!
      You will notice that I sent you both the same card, Haha, but it was the best one that wasn't all lovey-dovey!
      I wanted to make linzer cookies last Christmas and even bought a mini Christmas tree cutout for the top layer but it didn't happen. At least I caught up for Valentine's Day. They were super good so definitely want to make again. Maybe a mini Shamrock and some kind of green jelly(?) for St. Patrick's Day!

      Delete
  2. Your doughnuts look super yummy! Are they hard to make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! They are really more like muffins in a doughnut shape so not much more work than that. I like that they are healthier than real doughnuts while still being a fun treat.

      Delete
  3. Aww sounds like a cute valentine's day! We don't really celebrate aside from cards and a bit of chocolate. Brian also brought me home roses (!! So unlike him, lol) and 6 for each of our girls... They were sooo tickled pink! It was cute. I love Here comes Valentine Cat! We have read it about 50 times this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valentine Cat is my favorite! We might have to pick up Easter Cat next.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's been so long since I made them I forgot how good they are!

      Delete
  5. So much Valentine's Day fun! I'm so impressed by your donuts and cookies-- they look store bought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inside hearts in the linzers were a little squishy on the edges after they baked but they still tasted good!

      Delete
  6. So impressed with your donuts! YUM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are really fun. And delicious. And who doesn't love sprinkles?!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I didn't actually buy it for Valentine's Day but it worked out pretty well!

      Delete
  8. Those doughnuts look delicious!! I wore a heart scarf on Valentine's Day because it just felt so appropriate, lol. I love Swede's outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your heart scarf sounds cute! I love to dress (myself and the kids) festively for whatever holiday I can!

      Delete
  9. Ooh those doughnuts you made look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sprinkles make everything better. :-)

      Delete
  10. Those donuts look amazing! In my head, I always think this is the year I'm going to do all the holiday themed crafts with Sully and then it never happens. We baked sugar cookies and that was it haha. Oh well, he doesn't know the difference yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself that these little holiday traditions don't have to be super elaborate (such as the whole heart-shaped waffle plan) - The kids think the littlest things are fun.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.