Thursday, February 9, 2017

On (Not) Talking About Politics

OK - I'm a little nervous about this one! I have not been very (aka at all) vocal here on the blog about the current political situation, but I've been feeling increasing uncomfortable that I've been going along chit-chatting about my everyday life as if things are completely normal and fine, so I'm going to take a few moments here to be more serious.

Please feel free to skip this post if this isn't your cup of tea - Regularly scheduled programming will resume next week. I also hope that we can stay friends if you don't agree with everything that I'm going to say. Although... If you're pretty firmly in the other camp then I'm not sure we're right for each other after all.

I read this post - Thanks to Katie for pointing it out to me - and I do agree with much that Hallie says. Many of the points she makes for keeping politics OFF the blog are exactly how I feel. It's intimidating to talk about the big issues - What if I'm missing something or sound like an idiot? I like to keep it light. I think it's still important and OK to remain happy and optimistic and to continue to care about everyday life stuff like running and kids and food and books. 

But it DOES feel like there is an elephant in the room to never ever mention all that is going on outside my little bubble. I have mentioned in the past that I feel this way if Jonathan and I are having a rough patch. I want to keep our relationship issues private but it feels disingenuous to never mention the larger issues that do very seriously impact our lives.

So, I just feel that I need to say something. Here we go: I am very anxious, confused, ashamed, upset, angry, and fearful regarding the current and future state of the country. I feel that many things going on right now are simply not right.

This article is also very good, but very scary, regarding the potential (or perhaps, current) failure of our fabled three-part check-and-balances democratic system. It helps me to understand why Republican members of Congress will not stand up to a president who is so obviously unhinged. Although - Bravo to Judge James Robart and to the Federal Appeals Court for upholding the ruling against Trump's immigration ban.

It's easy to point fingers and to say, "These people are evil and stupid and cowardly." But I'm trying to reframe the dialog, in my head and out loud, especially in front of the kids, to: Here are some things that people have said or done that we DO NOT believe in. 

And here are some things we DO believe in: Tolerance. Respect. Equality.


A couple weeks ago Jonathan told me he wanted to get a bumper sticker for our car. The first option that he thought I would go along with was: "My dog is smarter than your president", because he knows how obsessed I am with Gumball. I vetoed that one because I think the last thing we need is more insults and more negativity. So now we have a "Love trumps hate" bumper sticker on our car, because I think that sends a better message. We believe in love and goodness and decency, and we believe that the good will prevail.

That's all.

8 comments:

  1. I am a little at the opposite end - would it be nicer and easier for everyone if I stopped talking about this stuff? Sure. But I would not feel good about myself if I ignored things like this that mattered, if I intentionally shuttered them for the comfort of others. If I'm wrong about something, I'll say I'm wrong. And Lord I hope I'm proven wrong on some things but that's not how it's looking.

    Sorry for the blah blah blah how I approach it. I think everyone should use their space how it sits best with them. On politics and otherwise. I could post about this every single day because every day is insane - but I typically keep it to a few points on Thursday Thoughts and that's for ME - I need to consciously step back sometimes and give it a rest for my own sanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've said SOMEthing I think it might be easier for me to bring up more frequently in the future - I think we all have to find the right balance that works for us.

      Delete
  2. I feel it's perfectly fine to not mention politics or current events on the blog. I don't and I don't feel weird about it. I sometimes put semi-personal things out there but for the most part I "try" to stay true to what my blog is about. Believe me, people aren't coming to my blog to read about politics or my opinion of the super bowl....lol

    But then again, if you are a lifestyle blogger and something is affecting your life, then by all means share it if you feel comfortable! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that your blog has a more specific focus and so it makes sense to stay true to that. Since mine is more general chit-chat about life I feel like I need to at least mention things that are going on with a big impact.

      Delete
  3. Love this. I 100% agree. I try to keep it light on my blog, and I don't ever want to make readers/friends uncomfortable reading, but I also feel like adding a bit of it to my posts is important, because things are so dang scary right now. There are days when I wake up with a pit in my stomach and I can't shake it. I'm extremely concerned, and I think adding our voices (even just a little) helps contribute to a thoughtful dialogue and probably point out a few things to folks who haven't been thinking the same thing, etc. Great post, I love the bumper sticker idea. I'd love to think of a few ways to make little differences in the world around us. Maybe we (or someone?) could do a collab post of ideas to make little things better, or encourage thoughtful conversation? I'm not sure, but I think it's important. :) Thank you for sharing this! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alexandra!!! Really appreciate this comment - I was hoping there were more people out there who feel the same way as me. It's a really difficult subject to write about. I really like the idea of doing a collab post. Kinda like the one you did at Christmas with ways to give back except with ways to try to make a difference.

      Delete
  4. Love that you shared your feelings about this! It's definitely not an easy thing to talk about, but I think how you're choosing to approach it by being positive or putting a more positive spin on it is refreshing. I've been going between trying not to think about things at all because I get so anxious and sad when I do, to trying to funnel those feelings into positive actions-- thank you for starting this conversation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carly! I have been feeling much the same as you - Sometimes I try not to think about it all, Sometimes I can't think about anything else. It is a difficult subject to write/talk about but hopefully now that I've started it will be easier in the future. Not that I plan to be all about politics, but I don't like NEVER mentioning it - There has to be a balance!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.