Thursday, February 2, 2017

That's Life [Episode 1]

Happy Groundhog Day! What's the story - Early spring? I hope so.

I saw this format on Amanda's blog and thought it would be a fun way to chit-chat about things that are going on. Linking up as usual with Kristen and Gretchen for What's New With You!

Mom Life: So I re-read a couple posts I wrote about a year ago - On Parenting and Coffee Date #3 - And my first thought was: "Thank goodness I don't feel that way anymore!" It's not that I don't ever feel tired, frustrated, impatient, or anxious. And there are definitely many tough moments with the kids. When they are both crying at the same time I think I'll go crazy, and there's a major competition going on these days over toys and hugs. BUT - I don't feel perpetually overwhelmed and/or frazzled, so that's good. I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this, but I feel (most of the time) calm & peaceful, that I'm doing OK at being patient, loving, & fun, that I have things under control, and that what needs to get done is getting done.


My favorite kids:



Blog Life: This is what I've figured out after one and a half years of blogging: I'm not going to be famous, and that's OK. I spend basically no time promoting and/or attempting to grow the blog. What I like best about blogging is 1) the journaling aspect - It's a really fun way to record my life, and 2) the connections I've made with some of you nice fellow bloggers out there - I really feel like we're friends! [And if you don't comment, please do! And then we can become friends.] So I'm just going to keep chit-chatting about everyday life, and I hope you keep following along.

Work Life: I've mentioned it before but I'm starting into my busy season at work, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting and commenting a little less frequently the next couple months. I spent the first couple weeks in January feeling a little glum as I dreaded the onslaught of work, but now that it's starting I remember that this is actually the type of work that I like best, that I'm good at my job, and that being efficient and productive makes the day more enjoyable.


My office:


Social Life: I've lived in Durango for almost three years now and I am finally starting to make some local friends. Today for the first time I am meeting two friends downtown for happy hour, which is what I've been saying for three years that I miss the most about Denver - Chatting with my girl friends after work over a glass of red wine. [PS: Dear Denver Friends, You know I still love and miss you!] I have a couple other potential friends that I've been trying to work up the nerve to reach out to, but making friends can be so difficult and awkward in the early stages, especially for introverts.

That's all! What's new with you?

27 comments:

  1. I totally love and relate to most of this post!! My mom life has (in many ways) gotten MUCH easier in the last 6 months or so. My girls actually play together for long periods of time sometimes! It is amazing, and I'm sure it will only improve (until the teenage years ish ;)). I know your exact feelings about life about a year ago. I love the baby age but it is so much harder in some ways!! I have the same feelings as you do about blogging, although there are days when I must admit I kind of dream about quitting my job and really making it my life (that doesn't happen very often, but it would be cool!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I look at you with kids just a little older than mine and think - YES, We are getting there. I imagine that 2&4, 3&5, etc (until teenager-dom) will be really fun. I definitely think we've turned a corner from the super chaos of the baby-era. Babies are so sweet, chubby, and adorable, but SO hard. I remember feeling the same way about my dog. Such a cute puppy, but honestly I was glad when she grew up a little. ;-)

      Delete
  2. i agree with everything you said in your blog life section. it's a great way to look back on things, and i love the community :)
    making real life local friends is SO hard. i've been here 5 years and haven't made a single friend on my own - i have 3 friends that i knew before i moved here, through 1 person in particular who lived in australia for a few years. but haven't met anyone on my own and if i have (through work or whatever) i have zero nerve to reach out to them. it is SO hard. why is it harder at this age vs being a kid? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK so I haven't asked anyone out on a date in a decade, but I feel like asking a guy on a date was easier then than asking a potential friend to get coffee now. It was so much easier in college and even my early working years. Obviously working at home makes it harder to meet people now. I'm using the kids nowadays as my excuse - Playdates etc.

      Delete
  3. It definitely took me 3+ years in my town to start meeting people and establish some friendships. It is awkward at first, and I'm often content to nurture my introversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like many bloggers are introverts! It's a nice way to develop a community & friendships from the safety of the living room. :-)

      Delete
  4. Totally agree about the blog section - I love having the documentation that I wouldn't otherwise have, and I love the friendships I've made (like yours!). And yes, it's so hard to make adult friends as an adult when you move/live somewhere new. I feel very lucky that I connected with some awesome ladies here through blogging! I wouldn't have any friends otherwise really. Unfortunately, we don't live on the same side of the city, but we still make an effort to get together and we text all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so neat that you have the online as well as IRL blogging community there - Looks like so much fun!

      Delete
  5. Same thoughts on the blog stuff - I will not be famous and I don't want to be. I like to dump my thoughts and chronicle life in my space, and I love the community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what I expected before I started, I'd been reading blogs for years but never commented, so it's been really cool & fun to develop this whole online community.

      Delete
  6. I feel the same about blogging. I could probably grow a bigger following by promoting and spending time/money on it, but what's the point? I love my job and have no plans on leaving, and I like having blogging as a hobby. Good for some people, not for me :)

    Thank you for linking up with us!! Love this format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting - I can't believe it's been a year!
      It's definitely a hobby for me too, and probably if I tried to make it a FT job it would lose the appeal.

      Delete
  7. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm a life coach blogger. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging endeavors. Please keep in touch with me in Google+, +sridharchandrasekaran Twitter @lifecoachbloger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that blogging motivates me to do a better job writing down my memories and little life happenings. It is hard to make brand new friends as an adult after moving to a new place--I'm more naturally introverted too, and that doesn't make it any easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! I look back frequently at things that happened pre-blog and wish that I had kept better track of them.

      Delete
  9. Making friends can be so tough! Do you work from home? (If not, I want to work at your office - it looks so nice!) I work from home though and I feel like that makes it even tougher. There are definitely major benefits to a home office job, but I miss the daily interaction with my coworkers!

    Blogging is so fun for memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do work from home. My office/cubical was definitely not so nice when I was still in the office! I agree that the camaraderie of the office, especially during the busy season when you're all the in trenches together, is something that I miss.

      Delete
  10. I understand what you mean about the busy season at work. I do love feeling productive, and being busy usually makes the day go faster! I'm not going to be a famous blogger either :) Some people are and some aren't! That's okay. I like that blogging helps me keep record of things I might otherwise forget. I turn my blog into a book every year or so, so that I can have everything in hard copy. Have you ever done that? I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, What?! That is such a good idea! How to you do turn it into a book? Tell me more!

      Delete
  11. Your office is so clean! I really need to reorganize my desk like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing makes me feel crazier than a messy desk so I try to keep mine super organized!

      Delete
  12. Making friends as an adult is so awkward, isn't it?
    How you described "blog life" is a realization that I came to as well. I don't want to be blog famous. I like the connections that I've made. My blog is boring to some, uninteresting to others, and unoriginal as well...but, it's me. Keep doing you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soooo awkward making friends these days! I swear it was easier to ask a guy out (in my 20s, so maybe it was just being young & brash) than it is to ask a potential friend for a coffee date now.

      Delete
  13. Oooh, I'm envious of your shelves! And being okay with just blogging for you is harder than ever, it seems, but that's what most people want to read. It gets obvious when people blog for popularity and they lose their voice. I like the personal aspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refer to my blogging style as "chit-chatting with my friends." All my real friends who read tell me the same thing: "It sounds exactly like you!" When that is no longer true I'll know it's time to be done. I have found that the blogs I like to read the most are the ones that feel very authentic and real. Just found yours - Hoping to join in the next "Add it to my list" linkup!

      Delete
  14. Gosh, your kiddos are so darn cute! It's so good that you don't feel completely frazzled all of the time. I worry about this someday down the line. I'm sure it all gets figured out eventually. :) I love authentic bloggers and making friends with them. I wouldn't shun "success" in blogging, but I agree that journalling and making close friends has been my favorite part BY FAR! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.