Friday, March 31, 2017

2017: March Check-in

I was very tempted to skip this post for March. When I decided to check in monthly on my 2016 goals I imagined it would be a steady progression in a generally successful direction. This month... Not so much! It's not unexpected as March is always a busy and difficult month at work, but it's always disappointing when you are off the mark.

But first! Because everyone liked seeing GB so much on Tuesday... She deeply loves her Cozy Cave and spends most of the day snoozing there in my office while I work.


Here's what happened this month - 

Exercise

The Goal: My official goal for 2017 is to PR the half marathon, but aside from that I like to exercise most days to be healthy and feel like my best self. I try to run 3x/week and do strength, HIIT, or yoga 3x/week.


The Reality: I am pretty dedicated to running so I did well there - 70 miles in March! I didn't miss a single scheduled run and pushed my long run up to 10 miles. I've been semi-consistent with non-running workouts 2x/week (8 total in March) although I did skip the entire week after Daylight Savings because I could not get out of bed early enough. 


Mood


The Goal: My goal is to be more mindful, to be more present, to single-task, and to spend less time on my phone. The word of the year is REST.

The Reality: Rest? Ha. Yeah... No. This is definitely the area that has suffered the most. It's amazing how quickly things go downhill when I'm not getting enough sleep. 
There have been many times the past month when I've found myself being impatient and snappy with the kids and immediately afterwards I think: "This is not who I am! This is not the mom I want to be." I do try to be really present when I'm with them but it's hard to stop my mind from wandering to all the work I need to do later. 

Earlier in the month I did slip back into bad habits of being on my phone too much but the past week I've gotten it back under control. The biggest change is that I think I'm quitting Instagram, but more about that later. A recent snapshot from Moment:


The extra time on Sunday was due to taking too many photos of Abe in his overalls.


Books

The Goal: I'm trying to read one non-fiction book per month this year.

The Reality: Nope. I've read a couple chapters of The Danish Way of Parenting but with limited reading time it's not my go-to. I'll catch up next month!

Budget

The Goal: My goals here are a) Don't buy any clothes for myself until May, and b) Be more careful with random discretionary spending.

The Reality: I was not very successful in this category either. I bought pretty much everything the kids will need for the spring and summer: Clothes from Carters and Primary. Sandals from See Kai Run. The cutest bathing suits ever from Boden. All those things did need to be purchased but there was definitely an element of impulse buying and retail therapy going on. I'd like to get away from the "I had a bad day... What should I buy?" mentality.


I also failed (4.5/6 months isn't so bad, is it?) at not buying any clothes for myself. I picked up a pair of Metro Joggers from Athleta and just yesterday bought a cute outfit from Title Nine. I also bought a Bubba Tumbler (I love it! Thanks Chelsea!) and some new movies for Swede - Her current favorite is Anastasia although we have to skip past any scene with Rasputin because he's too scary. 

So - Overall... It was not the best month for any of these categories except for running, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. This is my first complete busy season as a manger with two kids so... It's a work in progress. You do the best you can. 

That's all! How did March go for you?

22 comments:

  1. Mae would love Gumball's bed.

    Those kid suits are adorable! I would've bought them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB loooves the dog bed. Expert burrower, that one.

      Delete
  2. I want one of those dog beds in human size for ME! :)

    You did amazing with your running. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously wish I was GB sometimes - Such a carefree and snuggly life. :-)

      Delete
  3. You did great with the running! I need to check out the Moment app. I bet the results for me would be eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Moment app IS seriously eye-opening. I can't believe how fast it adds up.

      Delete
  4. Busy months can be tough for goals... but it seems like you did great on your goal of less phone time. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phone time is always such a struggle for me! It's definitely a willpower issue that I have less restraint when I'm tired/stressed.

      Delete
  5. You had a great running month! DLS time almost killed me this year! haha
    That bathing suit is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DLS was SO rough this year.
      I'm glad that running at least is going pretty well - I'm looking forward to doing some races this summer.

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a good month for running despite being so busy.

    Shopping for myself is something I rarely take the time to do so I am always in need of new clothes, shoes,cosmetics, etc. I finally bought an eye pencil the other day and now I realize it's the wrong color..lol I hope you have a great April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I can't do your shopping for you! ;-)

      Delete
  7. I think you did great! Especially considering what a busy month this is for you. Glad you're not being too hard on yourself about it :) Those jogger pants are so cute! I want a pair now! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brie! Some things did go well but my attitude at times leaves much to be desired... OH well, Try again tomorrow! The joggers from Athleta are my new favs, I think I want the other color too now...

      Delete
  8. I think that Moment app would really open my eyes (and my husband's). We put our phones down at the table and we go all day at work without being on them (except business), but we tend to waste time on our phones a lot.
    Way to go with running. I neglect exercise every dang month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really fascinating (and scary) how the little bits of time on your phone now and then add up to a LOT throughout the day. Keeping it under 30 minutes is really hard!

      Delete
  9. Omg the rainbow bathing suit is adorable!! I wouldn't have been able to resist that one either. I hope things start to settle down a bit more for you in April!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swede looks SO CUTE in the rainbow suit I can't stand it!
      Two more weeks til the tax deadline - Almost there!

      Delete
  10. You did SO well running in March! I did awful :( I'm really hoping for a good April because my first half is at the end of the month. I should probably post my running wrap-up just for accountability lol sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I saw that you posted it - Yay for you! This was definitely an accountability post for me. Not super happy about the results this month but you have to start somewhere...

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, Abe's overalls are so cute & I love the new suits you got them. How do you like the metro joggers? I've been considering the trekkie joggers, but the metro ones actually look more comfortable. Despite March not going quite as you planned, you still did an amazing job with your goals, and just being mindful about what didn't work is a huge accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in love with the metro joggers. I bought them in black but I think I want the grey too. I think the fabric is softer & more comfy than the trekkie ones but still nice enough to wear out and about.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.