Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Simple Pleasures

OK, So - You all know what "hygge" is, Right? When did this become a thing? I'm always a late adopter of the latest trend so I'm sure all the cool kids have been hygge-ing for a while, but I've just become aware of it recently. In February I read The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living by Meik Weiking, so I thought I'd share some of the ways I'm trying to make my life more hygge lately.

In case you don't know - Hygge is a Danish term that is usually translated as "cozy." Although after learning more about it I realized that there is another important element which is community and togetherness. Hygge can be reading a book in your favorite chair with a cup of tea and your dog while it's raining outside. Hygge can also be having a casual get-together with friends, especially when there's no pressure to have a spotless house or Pinterest-perfect snacks.

Here is the Hygge Manifesto:


In terms of cozy... Did you see my new "hyggekrog" (aka cozy reading nook) last week? I've also added more blankets, more scarves, and a perhaps not-entirely-healthy love affair with buttered toast to my life.

In terms of community... Jonathan and I have a date night out every other Saturday night, but on the off week I've decided to plan a get-together with friends or family for dinner or game night.

I also really like the focus on simplicity, comfort, and gratitude. In that vein here are some of my favorite random little things that bring joy to life (when I can manage to slow down enough to appreciate them):

- I have a vanilla latte every single morning and yet it never fails to be special and delicious. Breakfast lately looks like this: Latte for me. Oatmeal for Swede and Abel. Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go <--Never gets old! We sit together and I pretend like we have all the time in the world and there's never any rush ever to get on with the day.


- One of my favorite things to do is browse through bookstores. I don't even have to buy any books! Just looking at them makes me happy.

- Happy Hour wine with friends is something I'd like more of in my life...

- Book and Tea Time on the weekend when the kids are taking naps and/or doing quiet time is the best way to recharge my batteries. Bonus points if there are also snugs from Gumball. And a cookie. [Might be making these Chai Snickerdoodles again this weekend!]


- Bath & Body Works (or Dr Teal's) Spearmint Eucalyptus bubble bath/lotion/candle - Basically anything this scent is so calming to me.

- Greeting cards make me happy. My favorites are either Papyrus (so pretty!) or anything that involves a pun.

- When you park at a meter that has some time left.. This happened to me today and was such an unexpected surprise. Maybe I should get in the habit of adding another quarter to the meter when I'm leaving! Pay it forward.

- This one goes without saying but hugs and kisses and giggles and smiles from the kids are all pretty wonderful.


Your turn! Do you "hygge?" What are some of your favorite simple pleasures?

18 comments:

  1. This is such a great post! I'm not too familiar with hygge though I definitely want to read more about it & think I added that book to my tbr list after you mentioned it the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I'm really busy and stressed at work it's helpful to focus on the little good things that help me stay happy and calm.

      Delete
  2. Love the concept of hygge. My favorite is to be home with cleared surfaces, coffee or tea, candles lit, and a good book on the couch with my dogs!

    Eucalyptus spearmint is my go to calming scent as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleared surfaces are key. Our kitchen island counter tends to be a repository for all kinds of random junk and drives me crazy.

      Delete
  3. I love this :) I'm picking up a hygge book at the library tonight! I think it's such a fascinating concept and I can absolutely relate to craving it, especially in the winter months here. I like the balance and easy pace of the manifesto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like many of the concepts are things that we are drawn to naturally - unplugging, slow pace, connection, being cozy - but I love that in Denmark it's a national philosophy!

      Delete
  4. That book is HIGH on my to-read list. I think I'll tackle it at the end of summer/beginning of fall when I start to crave all things cozy again :)
    I would really like to invest in making my life more hygge-y :) I just picked up some Dr. Teal's the other day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of hygge is focused on cozy wintertime stuff BUT there are some good ideas how to hygge in the summer as well - Spending lots of time outside mostly. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm sure that I told you, but I bought this book recently and a lot of my 2017 goals are centered around home and hygge type ideas. I can't wait to read the book. Books for me are definitely one!! I want to embrace a seasonal ease and simplified day to day feeling. I don't even know if that makes sense. But I feel like the idea of hygge is a lot of what I want in the colder months! But many of the ideas that I know of so far don't have to only be used during the winter. :) Excited to hear more as you go! XO -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That completely makes sense! Simplified day to day feeling is a good way to put it. Many of the hygge concepts are things I've been working on already but I feel like the framework helps me see them as a cohesive plan for a calmer simpler life in tune with the seasons. If THAT makes sense! One nice thing in the book is that have ideas for hygge in the summer too rather than just being a fall/winter thing.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of hygge! Book and tea time sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book and tea time is the best. :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm not that familiar with Hygge (I feel like everything I know about it I've learned from you!), but you're inspiring me to want to read about it. I love finding the joy in the simple things. Especially since I'm a homebody at heart, I find it doesn't take much to make me happy or brighten my day.

    I love browsing through bookstores too. I rarely buy anything when I do, but I call them my happy place. I too used to love pulling up to a meter that still had time on it. Sadly, we don't have meters in Calgary anymore...you pay at a machine and have to put in your license plate, so there's absolutely no way to pay it forward to someone else.

    I love when my kitchen is clean...which is a daily battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that hygge is anything ground-breaking but it's nice to have a fresh way to look at the idea of taking it slow and appreciating the little things.
      I rarely buy anything at bookstores either but they are definitely my happy place too!

      Delete
  8. Some of mine: Sushi night with my friend every Friday, and choosing to end my day and retire to the electric blanket on the couch.

    I think allowing myself to BE somewhere without any thought of "elsewhere" really contributes to my feelings of hygge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekend sushi friend date sounds so nice! And I love that you CHOSE to end your day. Sometimes I find myself frittering around in the evening rather than just making a conscious decision that this day is over & it's time to relax.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read much about hygge, but I'm interested in learning more. I recently started listening to a podcast about minimalism and I want to me more conscious of the way I use my time and space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! What podcast are you listening too?

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.