Sunday, April 30, 2017

2017: April Check-In

I decided to abandon my standard format for these posts this month. I might return to it in the future but I feel like a "Coffee Date" style post will suit me better for April.

Suffice to say, I didn't knock it out of the park in any of my established 2017 Goal categories. As Kerrie so eloquently put it a couple weeks ago: I have lost all my mojos. My running mojo. My reading mojo. My blogging mojo. My cooking mojo. My sticking-to-the-budget mojo. My being-a-fun-mom mojo. It's all starting to come back slowly, and I think I'm ready to refocus on my goals in May, but I don't really want to go through each category of not-success.

Step one in the plan to relax-and-recharge was a morning off last week in which a) I picked up my favorite Caramel Creme Latte from the Durango Coffee Company, b) spent a leisurely hour browsing at Maria's Bookshop, and then c) had a massage and pedicure at the Spaaah Shop. Bliss!


I have been in a major running slump the past month. It has been really tough and really discouraging. I ran 55 miles in April (versus 70 in March) and almost none of them felt good. I'm thinking (& hoping) this is just residual tiredness from the past couple months of busy season and that I'll rediscover my energy and joy for running again soon.

I decided to quit Instagram and Facebook and I have to say that I don't miss either! I thought I would miss IG especially but I realized that almost everyone I followed has a blog so I can catch up with you that way. I felt like I was getting too caught up in wanting my own IG feed to be just so - Having the right photos and the right variety of photos, the right captions and the right hashtags. And the instant gratification of how many likes you do or don't get... I know I'm overthinking everything, but it was too much for me! It's been a little weird to feel that impulse that "this would be a good IG photo moment!" and then a nice feeling of relief that I can just be in the moment versus trying to capture it.

Unrelated photos of the kids while on a nature walk:



However I still feel like I spend too much time of my phone. I have spent way too much time online shopping. In my defense I have been planning for a long time to refresh my summer wardrobe but now that that is taken care of I need to stop idly browsing the "New Arrivals" section of my favorite online retailers.

Food: There have been too many chips and not enough vegetables eaten recently. You'll notice I added fewer recipes to the "Food" page and developed a slight obsession with comforting breakfast-y meals for dinner (see also: Breakfast Casserole, Breakfast Nachos, Breakfast Pizza).

Going into the summer I want to:
- Stick to my training plan for running and do cross-training 3x/week including one yoga class at a real studio.
- Start playing the piano again regularly.
- Be cognizant of the budget and reign in impulse purchases and retail therapy.
- Spend less time (<30 minutes per day) on my phone.
- Try to be more present and mindful.
- Recommit to the word of the year: REST. I must resist the tyranny of the to-do list! It has to get done, but it doesn't all have to get done right now.

Unrelated photo of Swede helping wash the car:


That's all! I wish you a Happy May Day tomorrow! I've always thought "May" has a really cheerful ring to it.

12 comments:

  1. I just realized on your blog that you reply to comments right in the comments section! I'm not sure that I have seen many of your replies, haha, so now I feel like I should go back and read some!! Anyway, this is a great post. I feel much the same way about the past couple of months. I have half-finished projects all over the place and I have not been running or exercising nearly as much as I would like to. I have been reading a lot, but I have been neglecting a lot of other things to escape into a book and I need to find a bit more of a balance. I hope things start to look up soon! I find today to be so inspiring - first real "month of spring" sort of, May 1 on a Monday = inspirational, sunshine, mother's day coming, summer on the way...go get em!! :) Happy May Day! (PS, as always, I adore the pictures of your beautiful children in this post) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you but still feel the need to comment here anyway too... I am going to fix this commenting issue!

      Delete
  2. I love this. I can definitely relate to feeling "out of it" "off my ___ game". Especially at the beginning of the year. I feel a bit energized right now. And I think it's because I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel so to speak with some of the life drama.. and some of the things I used to care (more) about. That sounds like the greatest morning to get yourself recharged! Awesome! It definitely makes me want to plan out a fun Wednesday night for myself this week. That's KC's guys night! Good luck with your summer goals... I still can't believe that it's May...! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I know that we've both been a little off lately - Hoping that things turn around for us both, although I feel like it's already starting to for you! For me too actually. You should plans something fun for Wednesdays, although if ever I have night to myself it's definitely book or movie and ice cream or wine and enjoy the peace & quiet!

      Delete
  3. Our April was nuts and that meant a lot of to-do boxes went unchecked with me, too. No worries- May will revitalize us :) I'm kicking the month off with a massage today so we're practically twinning (and setting ourselves up for 100% success)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get massages that often so it always feels very luxurious and indulgent, and then I'm ready to conquer the world! (Or at least my small corner of it...)

      Delete
  4. I have only been running once a week for the past two months, after Phoenix I just did not want to run, paired with a long winter here it was not happening. I am hoping the warmer weather in May helps!
    I have thought about quitting FB a lot but it is the way family sees photos... and well blogging I really might cut back this summer. I always wonder when I will just quit it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a "share site" through Shutterfly to share photos with family vs FB.
      Hopefully we'll both get back into running in May!

      Delete
  5. You are not alone with the feelings you describe about social media. I think we all need to find a balance that works for each of us.
    Your photos of your kiddos are adorable, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - It's nice to know I'm not alone. I may come back to IG and try to do it with more balance...

      Delete
  6. I love instagram so much BECAUSE I don't give a crap about curating my feed or having things just so or variety (coffee, ocean, dogs, city, books are about as varietal as I'll get). I hope you go back to IG. I just realized I wasn't following you on there so I requested you in case you do LOL.

    Sometimes it's refreshing and freeing to lose all of your mojos at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is EXACTLY the attitude I need to have! I may come back and try it again to see if I can let go and just enjoy it.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.