Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Favorite Children's Books

Hello! Today I'm linking up with Lauren and Bre for Add It To My List. This time I thought I'd share some of my favorite children's books.

I have always loved children's books. During my sophomore year of college my roommate Ali and I would check out picture books from the Education section of the library and read them before bed. I remember being particularly enamored with Amos and Boris by William Steig.

I've always been in the habit of wandering through the kids section at bookstores and every once in a while before I had kids I'd pick up a book with "someday" in mind. I bought Jane Eyre and Pride & Prejudice from the BabyLit collection in Savannah in 2012.

Of course nowadays that I'm reading bedtime stories and nap time stories and breakfast time stories and any time stories, I am always on the lookout for new and fun stories because even the cutest books get tiresome at some point. We do go to the library every week but sometimes it's hit or miss, so if you have kids, or if you just love children's books, please give me suggestions!

Currently the #1 spot is held by Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins. It's about a grumpy bear who begrudgingly takes in four baby geese. Swede has this book memorized and it's so cute to hear her say phrases like "mistaken identity" and "explained migration."


Some other favorites are:

Bedtime for Monsters by Ed Vere
The Night Gardener by The Fan Brothers
The Bear and the Piano by David Litchfield
Snappsy the Alligator by Julie Falatko and Tim Miller


The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat
Such a Little Mouse by Alice Schertle and Stephanie Yue
The Wonderful Habit of Rabbits by Douglas Florian and Sonia Sanchez
Dream Animals by Emily Winfield Martin


I picked up this set of ten fairy tales from Scholastic a while ago and was surprised by how much Swede loves them. I guess they are classics for a reason!


Abel is just now starting to be interested in books so I'm looking forward to getting out some of my favorite board books to share with him, such as the Penguin and Pinecone series by Salina Yoon, the "Baby" series by Leslie Patricelli, anything by Sandra Boynton, and anything Eric Carle.


That's all!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks! I buy books for the kids in my life, and I stockpile good ones even before they reach that age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to start looking ahead, Not sure what's next once they learn to read themselves! Although I hope to continue reading together even after that.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE children's books. My mom is a first grade teacher so kid's books have always found their way in and out of our house. In our spare room I have a few books put away for "someday" ;) It might be a little old for your kids still, but I LOVE Little Bo (by Julie Andrews!) when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Little Bo! I will have to check it out, It's good to have some ideas for when they get older too.

      Delete
  3. I adore children's books and started collecting them for "someday" years ago too :) And I love hearing Sully read them to himself. His all time favourites right now are the "Goodnight..." series by Adam Gamble (Goodnight Trains, Goodnight Pirate Ship, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at the Goodnight series - So cute! And even cuter to listen to them read out loud. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh man this is one of my favourite topics, as you know!! I am constantly trying to find good new books for my kids. We love Brown Bear, Brown Bear...and I love that Lucy can "read" it herself now since it is so repetitive!! The Bear and The Piano is one we really enjoyed too. I haven't heard of a few of these others so I am going to track them down!!
    Other favourites of ours include the Elephant and Piggy series and the Pigeon books by Mo Willems, The Monster at the End of this book, any books by Herve Tullet, and Deborah Underwood's cat books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abel is obsessed with Brown Bear Brown Bear. :-)
      I am going to look for the Elephant and Piggy series, and you reminded me how much we liked Here's Comes Valentine Cat - That one was adorable. We also really like the Maple & Willow series - Thanks to you!

      Delete
  5. One of my daughter's favorite books right now is The Going to Bed Book. I have it memorized! I will have to get Mother Bruce and check out a few others of these that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many Sandra Boynton books memorized! They are so cute and catchy. We also love Pajama Time and Moo Baa Fa La La and the Pookie series.

      Delete
  6. I'm getting a niece or nephew this summer (not sure which!) and I want to work on some books for him/her! This is a great place to start. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with board books by Eric Carle - I think babies LOVE the bright colors. And the Sandra Boynton board books are super cute and funny.

      Delete
  7. I love this! We always get KC's cousin's kids books for birthdays and Christmas. Since I'm not working in a preschool anymore it's always good to get recommendations! I got beekle last christmas and the kids and I all loved it! :) Boynton is definitely a classic! My sister Olivia looooved Red Hat Green Hat (or whatever it was called) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scene in Beekle when she gives me his name seriously brings a tear to my eye! So sweet.
      We just picked up the sequel to Mother Bruce (Hotel Bruce) this week and it's really great too.

      Delete
  8. Such a great post for nourishing little readers. I have started a tradition of buying Australian books for the family members back home. Christmas 2015, I sent a book called Edward the Emu. My cousin's kids love it so much that they requested Edwina the Emu for Christmas 2016 :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.