Thursday, April 27, 2017

Pros and Cons of Working from Home

Today marks three years since I moved from Denver to Durango and starting working from home. I kept the job that I had in Denver when we moved and have been working remotely ever since with occasional trips back to the main office.

My home office

In our old house my desk was in a corner of the living room so it's been really nice the last six months since we moved into our new house to have a dedicated office.

Here are some of my thoughts on the pros and cons of working from home...

The commute

This is a huge benefit to me. I love not spending time in traffic. Of course it depends how close you live to work. For three years in Denver I had a 45-60 minute commute, which was pretty awful, and then for the last two years I lived 5 minutes away from the office, which was pretty nice, but nothing beats zero minutes.


The only downside that I can think of is that I used to listen to NPR on the way to/from work and I am much less informed these days on local, national, and international news.


The schedule

I have a very flexible schedule but it is even more so while working from home. It's so easy, almost too easy at times, to take a quick break to fold the laundry or put dinner in the Crock-Pot, so I have to be really careful not to let home chores overwhelm my work responsibilities during work hours.


And vice versa. The downside, both to the flexible schedule and to working from home, is that it can be hard to draw the line between work and home. During busy season, my computer was always on, and I was always popping back into my office to check and respond to email.

The dress code

Pro: I can work in pajamas!
Con: I can work in pajamas.

I do love my comfy clothes, but I have to say that even when I'm not leaving the house, I feel so much better if I take the time to get ready for the day. Not that I'm wearing business casual around the house but I don't want to be embarrassed if I have to answer the door or run an errand. It helps me feel more professional too. 


Another thing to note is that if you're wearing yoga pants 24/7 you might not realize right away about those couple pounds you gained over the holidays...


Busy season uniform

The community

As an introvert I feel that I am well suited to work from home, but I do miss the camaraderie of the office from time to time. I met almost all my good friends in Denver through work. It has been much harder to make friends and get connected in the Durango community without the office environment. I do also miss going out for (free!) lunches and coffee dates. Sometimes I think it's healthier to work from home without the various free donuts, snacks, lunches, and drinks, but on the other hand, at home, the kitchen is always right there.


That's all! Do you, or have you ever, worked from home? If so - What do you think the greatest perks and drawbacks are?

16 comments:

  1. I loved that when I worked from home I could be there all day with my "furkids". However, I never made much of an effort to wear more than yoga pants. Therefore I never had an excuse or need for new clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I definitely love that I get to spend the day with GB too!
      I've definitely been saving money on work clothes!

      Delete
  2. I work from home here and there. A great balance for me would be two days at home and three in the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that would be a really nice balance!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure it's so nice to have a dedicated office space, but I can see how tempting it would be to constantly feel the need to just peak in to check a thing or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the deadline I've been making a conscious effort to turn my computer off at 5 otherwise it's still too easy to pop in a check throughout the evening... A work in progress!

      Delete
  4. I have days where I think I would love to work at home but worry about being too lonely - that was the hardest part of maternity leave for me, not seeing other adults daily. My commute is only 10 mins though so that is a huge thing too.
    I love getting dressed up for work so that is a perk for me. I think the distractions of being at home and a flexible schedule would be hard for me for sure.
    I will say that I would love to be in the office less though, either shorter hours of 3-4 days a week and then work from home the other times. A good balance for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I'm in Denver for work it's always fun to have the chance to get dressed up!
      I think a good balance would be a couple days in the office and a couple days at home - It's too bad that's not an optino for either of us...
      It can be SO hard to resist the home distractions sometimes!

      Delete
  5. I've never worked from home, but at the start of the year I joined my husband's company so working for him is verrrrry laid back. I still come into an office and I'm still required (*asked*) to be here at a certain time and in certain clothes (jeans, t-shirt, closed shoes), but I can pop home whenever I want to and go for a coffee run if the urge strikes. I like the balance. I know if I was home I'd constantly be doing laundry or dishes or something else during work time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I think the flexible schedule might be even more important than working from home for me. It's so nice to be able to have that freedom.

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to work from home! I think I'd also have a hard time drawing the line between work life and home life though so it's probably for the best that I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really hard to not let work/home bleed into each other one way or the other at times. Sometimes I do wish I worked in an office that I could leave it behind more easily.

      Delete
  7. I can totally see both sides of this too! I don't really like my job, and the office environment is pretty toxic sometimes, which really sucks. In that sense I guess working from home would be better... but I'm also more of an extrovert. So I need social interaction. I work on my small business from home on Tuesdays. It works really well, but sometimes it's easy to sleep in, read, etc. when I don't have pressing projects. haha Having some type of schedule would be important for me. I sometimes struggle with getting fully dressed/make-uped as well... heheh I would HATE commuting. The most I've had is 30 minutes, so I feel lucky. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that your job, especially the office environment, isn't that great. :-(
      Even as an introvert sometimes I really miss the office community. That is the hardest part of working from home. Well, and getting dressed in real clothes...

      Delete
  8. Love your thoughts on this! I work from home 1-2 days a week, and I love those days because I can wear my comfy clothes, have no commute, and can make a hot lunch! I am glad to go into the office the other days though because it's nice to see my coworkers and get a little more dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like such a great balance! I wish that I could be in the office a little more frequently.
      Being able to make a hot lunch at home is definitely nice. I've been getting out the panini press most days and it really takes the ham and cheese up a notch. :-)

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.