Friday, April 14, 2017

Race Recap: Run the Rim 10K

Welcome to my first race recap of 2017! This one wasn't on the original 2017 Race Calendar that I set up in January but I just couldn't wait until May to do my first race since last August. The main reason I wanted to do an earlier race was to gauge where I'm at with my training so far and to get a baseline going forward into the summer. But there was a secondary benefit which I didn't plan on that it reminded me of everything that I need to do going forward to have a successful race!

Honestly - I hesitate to call this a race because it was the smallest, low-budget, no-frills race you can possibly imagine. I think I'm being generous when I say there were 50 people. No chip timing. No mile markers. No aid stations. But it's to support scholarships for the Fort Lewis College Exercise Science Department so at least you can be sure 99% of your entry fee is going to the cause!


The race started at the clock tower on campus which is on a mesa above Durango and consisted of many loops around campus including along Rim Drive which overlooks town. There was a 5K which was a small loop and a big loop, and for the 10K you did both loops over again. I passed my car four separate times and every time I thought that maybe I should just hop in and go home! Mostly because that part of the course was really windy. Running into the wind is high on my list of least favorite things.


My splits were - 8:44, 8:31, 8:10, 9:00, 8:42, 8:41, and 2:46 for the last .3 (per Garmin) for a total time of 54:34 and an average pace of 8:40. I was hoping for closer to 8:30 but there were numerous things I could have done better leading up to and during the race, such as: a) going to bed at a reasonable time the night before - not at 11 p.m.! b) eating a proper dinner the night before - not Chinese food at 3 p.m.! c) bringing some water/fuel for during the race - even though it was *just* a 10K a GU before the race and at mile 3 would have been nice. That is was so windy was also not very helpful.

That's all! I hope you have a nice Easter weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Great job with your splits and overall pace! 10k is a long way to run without any water or aid stations, so I can imagine that must have been difficult, and I would have probably had the same thoughts when passing by my car, haha- so tempting! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I managed to resist the temptation to get in the car and go home mid-race! It was definitely a good reminder of what I need to do to have a better race in the future.

      Delete
  2. Oof. Running is not my strong suit & I'm always so amazed by people who do it. 5Ks, 10Ks, marathons... It just amazes me! Glad you got through it and there were some helpful benefits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly feeling like running is not my strong suit the past couple weeks! Hoping my love for it comes back soon...

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.