Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reading Roundup - March 2017

Book Day! Here's what I read in March:


1) A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline. Based on real life, this book is the story of Christina Olsen's life on a remote farm in Maine in the early 20th century. She has a degenerative nerve condition which gradually cripples her. In her 40's she becomes friends with the painter Andrew Wyeth and inspires his most famous work "Christina's World." I really liked Christina Baker Kline's first book, Orphan Train, but for some reason I couldn't get into this one.


2) Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller. On the other hand, I did not like Claire Fuller's first book, Our Endless Numbered Days, but I did mostly enjoy this one although it does have the sad downward trajectory of a a relationship falling apart. A dozen years ago, before she disappeared, Ingrid Coleman wrote a series of letters to her husband Gil, telling the story of their life together, and hid them in books around their house. The book alternates back and forth between the letters and the modern day as Gil and Ingrid's two grown daughters come home to care for their ailing father.


3) My Not-So-Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella. I never got into the Shopaholic series but I have enjoyed all Sophie Kinsella's other books and this one is no exception. It's about Katie Brenner, a small-town girl who is struggling to make it at an advertising agency in London, but you wouldn't know that by looking at her Instagram! While she projects the "perfect" image to the world she is obsessed by her boss, Demeter, who also appears to be perfect. But appearances (and Instagram) can be deceiving...


4) All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai. This book is different. Do you ever feel like you're reading the same book over and over? This is not that. It's set in the 2016 that people in the '50s thought we'd have - Very Jetsons. But then the main character, Tom Barren, goes back in time and alters the trajectory of time to end up in the 2016 of today. It started out really good and interesting and funny, but the last third is really confusing with many alternative realities overlapping. I've continued to think about it since I finished the book but still can't make sense of how it all worked out!

Swede's book of the month: The Wonderful Habits of Rabbits by Douglas Florian, illustrated by Sonia Sanchez.


Also! Following in the footsteps of Steph and Erin and Audrey (and I know there are others) - Here are some books I'm giving away free to a good home! Let me know if you're interested in the comments and/or email me your address at noodletotherescue(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll send them to you. The only caveat is that you continue to share the love by passing them along when you are done.


- Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W. Gortner
- My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman
- More than Happy: The Wisdom of Amish Parenting by Serena Miller and Paul Stutzman
- Finding Fraser by K.C. Dyer [If you like the Outlander series this is a fun read.]

That's all!

28 comments:

  1. Ah, so fun! Sounds like some interesting reads I haven't read ANY Sophie Kinsella. I really want to though. I think that Amish Parenting book sounds awesome LOL. But give it to a parent first, and if no one else wants it, I'd take it. But I'm LAST! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's yours! Honestly it was not super helpful from a parenting standpoint. Their world is too much different than ours to have much crossover. But it WAS a fascinating glimpse into Amish culture!

      Delete
  2. Swede is so cute. I want a rabbits book. I have tried a little bit of one Sophie Kinsella book and couldn't get into it, but maybe I started with the wrong one. It was one where the main character was talking about how she lies to her boyfriend about what size she is and I couldn't get past the beginning. All Our Wrong Todays sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I liked that one! I think it's Can You Keep a Secret? They are in the silly but fan category for me. :-)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any Kinsella but DNF the shopaholic book so I'm not sure if she's for me. I love Swede's little rabbit book...so fitting for this time of the year! ;) So sweet of you to pay books forward!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand the Shopaholic ones but I do enjoy her other books so you might give one of them a try when you're in a light fun chick-lit mood.

      Delete
  4. Hurrah for book giveaways!

    That's a shame - I was like hmm maybe #4 would be something I'd like, but the end sounds like a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started out really interesting and funny - His comments the "barbarity" of our current world which we think is oh so advanced - but the end was SO confusing.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't a big fan of Swimming Lessons. I didn't feel the characters beyond Ingrid were very well developed. And after awhile, even Ingrid starting to annoy me. I read Can You Keep a Secret, which I enjoyed but never picked up anymore Kinsella books. This one sounds fun. Adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swimming Lessons - I started out really liking it but less and less as the book went on. I agree with your review specifically about Gil - How we didn't know him at all - was frustrating.

      Delete
  6. oh bummer about that first book. i quite liked orphan train too, but i will skip that one. dang, swimming lessons sounds heavy lol. my not so perfect life is on my kindle, hoping to get to it soon. all our wrong todays sounds interesting and confusing. i might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might Piece of the World. I'm not really sure why I didn't like it but I think it was probably just me so you should give it a try if you liked Orphan Train! Not So Perfect was a fun read.

      Delete
  7. I agree with Kristen ^^ I LOVED Orphan Train so I'm sad that A Piece of the World didn't live up to your expectations.
    All Our Wrong Todays sounds interesting, too...
    That Amish book sounds fascinating- but I'm not a parent either so Alexandra totally gets dibs ;) Maybe she can send it on to me when she's done, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just commented on Kristen's but I think you should give Piece of the World a try - I think it was just me being distracted by work/life stress that I couldn't get into it.
      I'm sending the Amish book to Alex but I'm sure she will pass it along. It is a really fascinating glimpse into the Amish lifestyle whether or not you care about the parenting aspects.

      Delete
  8. I really liked My Not So Perfect Life! Just a nice, light read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree - Really light fun and cute. Just what I'm looking for sometimes!

      Delete
  9. I haven't read any of these, but I'm leaning more towards that Kinsella book after reading your review. Swede looks so happy and excited with her book choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Swede :-) I love that she loves reading.
      Not-So-Perfect Life was a good one the next time you're in the mood for something light and fun.

      Delete
  10. I've never read anything by Kinsella but I DO really want to check out My Not So Perfect Life. Glad it was good one for you!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good read when you're in the mood for something light and fun, but I think there is slightly more of a "message" than in her other books which I definitely need to hear about social media perceptions!

      Delete
  11. Yay for books finding new homes! I've yet to read a Fredrik Backman book, so I'd take that one if you're willing to ship to Australia.

    The Swimming Lessons cover art is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to send it to you! Email me your address.

      Delete
  12. I thought the boss in My Not So Perfect Life had the weirdest name...Kinsella could've done better with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree! I was wondering if that was a more popular name in England?

      Delete
  13. I'll have to look into some of these! I haven't read a Kinsella book since I read the Shopaholic series in college. Orphan Train has been on my list forever but the library wait time has been long and I can't check it out when my turn rolls around. Maybe I'll try this book by that author instead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Orphan Train - Do you want it? I almost put it on the list of giveaway books but I thought four was enough this month. I'd be happy to send it to you though, Let me know!

      Delete
  14. I couldn't stand the Shopaholic series either! I think I gave up after book 2, but I'm not even sure I made it through that one. But I love her other books (and the Shopaholic movie was really fun!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Me too - I liked the Shopaholic movie, but for some reason the books are so annoying even though I like her other books so much! Weird.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.