Wednesday, May 31, 2017

2017: May Check-In

Here we are at the end of May! This month was a little strange for me. For the first couple weeks I felt really anxious and stressed all the time. I fell back into my old bad habit of repeating my to-do list in my head over and over all day long. Then I had a light-bulb moment and decided to calm down, to slow down, to take a few things off the to-do list, and to a take a more relaxed approach toward the remaining items. Since then I have been feeling much better.

Here are the goals I set at the start of 2017 and how things went in May - The short version is: Not perfect, but I'm channelling this Tea wisdom:



Exercise

The Goal: My official goal for 2017 is to PR the half marathon, but aside from that I like to exercise most days to be healthy and feel like my best self. I try to run 3x/week and do strength, HIIT, or yoga 3x/week.


The Reality: The numbers look good. I ran 75 miles, did 8 21 Day Fix workouts, and even made it to a yoga class at the studio. The reality is that it was a struggle to keep plugging away when very few of the miles were fun or fast. Thankfully I have started to feel motivated and happy to be running again in the past two weeks, and I had a good race last weekend.


Mood


The Goal: My goal is to be more mindful, to be more present, to single-task, and to spend less time on my phone. The word of the year is REST.


The Reality: As I said before, the first half of the month was a complete failure in this category but the second half of the month has gone much better. In terms of phone usage, I spent $3.99 to upgrade the Moment app and I'm glad I did - There are a few nice tricks that have been really helpful to me in cutting back even further.



Books

The Goal: I'm trying to read one non-fiction book per month this year.


The Reality: Yes! I finished my trilogy of Danish books this month with The Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell.



Budget

The Goal: My goals here are a) Don't buy any clothes for myself until May, and b) Be more careful with random discretionary spending.


The Reality: I fully admit my spending has been a little excessive the past two months. [Hello Capsule Wardrobe!] But I do feel like I have most everything that I had planned to buy and that we needed for the summer, both for myself and for the kids, and for the house in general, so I am going to attempt another spending freeze until September.


This water table was a solid May purchase though!


Going into June I want to:

     - Start playing the piano again regularly - I did play a few times in May but would like to be more consistent.


     - Really focus on being present and mindful - Whenever I catch myself running through the to-do list ad nauseam in my head I have to STOP and repeat a mantra like "Right Here, Right now."


     - Be cognizant of the budget and reign in impulse purchases and retail therapy. I wrote this exact goal last month but I mean it this time!


     - Enjoy the sunshine!


I am also running my first half marathon of the year on June 10 and the following weekend we are heading to Denver for our first family vacation.

That's all! How did May go for you? Any fun plans for June? As usual I'm linking up with Gretchen and Kristen for What's New With You.


10 comments:

  1. Oh this month just flew by didn't it? I'm pretty good about not spending $ on clothes over the summer but I do know I'll be splurging on the house since there are rooms I want to redecorate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to how you are feeling. End of April - now I have been running at top speed. Most of the year, as my goal was "space" I tried to keep our schedule light. But there was not much help for it during grad/wedding/etc. season. There have been a few times lately that I feel like I am totally falling apart in the stress. But I think that *trying* to focus on the time I do have and doing lots of self care (reading, sleep, etc.) has really helped me. Also that tea quote is great. I think that is so so true. It sounds like you're doing great goal-wise. I'm loving hearing about your progress. Can't wait to see what you thought of the other Danish book when you post for SUYB. :) Good luck staying present, it's a journey! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  3. May was WILD - so I am excited to CALM DOWN in June. Catch up with some friends I haven't spent QT with recently, and just spend as much time outdoors as I can. Keeping it simple! I bought a kiddie pool yesterday so I can relax in the pool in the backyard! I'm psyched about that. A cocktail, and book while "poolside" at my own house? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That water table looks SO fun!!! Love that mantra too. I am scared to track how much time I spend on my phone...haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I get so caught up in my to-do list that I sit and worry about it instead of taking that time to check something off or work on something. (I actually might be doing that right now... sigh.) It can be tough!
    I love the musical goal! And I've heard nothing but good things about kids' water tables!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books about hygge.

    I do months where I try not to buy extra things (like clothes). May was not one of those months lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing a great job! I'm also kind of in a self-imposed spending freeze on clothes. I over bought and I am trying to downsize and stop buying for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Year of Living Danishly looks so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like June is going to be an awesome month! I SERIOUSLY need to work on impulse buying and retail therapy. I spent so much last month getting my kids (and myself...oops) a summer wardrobe. No spend June over here! I'm still on the wait list for The Little Book of Hygge and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my year of no shopping is over and i've been a little shop happy this past week haha so i will need to be better about budgets and impulse purchases soon. the Moment app looks super cool. definitely checking that out!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.