Tuesday, May 16, 2017

2017 Summer Capsule Wardrobe

I have been intrigued by the idea of a capsule wardrobe for a long time and I thought this summer would be a good time to try it since I was planning to refresh my wardrobe anyway after four years of being in some stage of pregnant, postpartum, nursing, and/or getting back in shape. I feel like my summer clothes were an odd mishmash picked up over the years and it was time for an overhaul.

I think the official capsule wardrobe limit is 30 items (which does not include socks & underwear, pajamas, or work-out clothes) and I think I'm a little over that but it feels right to me so far. I have plenty of room in my closet but I went ahead and packed up my winter clothes and now I'm loving the clean and spacious look.

I'm obviously not very into fashion and you know I work from home and live in a very casual Colorado mountain town, so I'm sticking with the classic jeans and t-shirt look. Here's what you'll be seeing in photos for the rest of the summer:

T-shirts: For years I have searched for the perfect t-shirt and these ones from Boden are pretty darn close. I have the Short Sleeve Breton in the pink/pink and blue/blue stripes, and the Lightweight Crewneck Tee in black, red, blue, green, and the grey bird print.


Jeans/Shorts: I have the Cambridge Ankle Skimmer Jeans, the Karin Shorts, both new this year, and  the Rachel Chino Shorts, in khaki and red, that I bought in 2015.

[Side note: This is not an ad! I just really like Boden clothes. But one thing to know is never ever pay full price. They have great sales all the time. The most I'll ever pay for something is 20% off but I can't usually get it for less.]

Dresses: New this year is the Phoebe Jersey Dress in the green flowered print. I also have the Fit and Flare Dress from Lands End in a flowered print from last summer, and another skirt that I bought at a local store a couple years ago.


Because it's cold in the morning and evening I picked up the Studio Wrap from Athleta and I kept out a couple fleeces. 

Shoes: I picked up the Dorra sandals from Chaco and these watermelon print Toms this year. [Full disclosure: I also bought Swede a matching pair of Toms... I know, I know!] I also have a classic black pair of Chacos that are ten years old ands still good as new.

I'm not including work-out clothes here but I did get the Vibe Tank Top from Title Nine and the Kendra capris from Kuhl to be my "cute hiking outfit."


This also doesn't include any work clothes for the 2-3 days per month that I'm in the main office in Denver. For that I have a couple skirts, one pair of dress pants, one pair of heels, and a rainbow of cashmere sweaters. I could probably add a few more items - I wonder when (or maybe it's already happened!) my co-workers will notice I wear the same clothes over and over - But I think I've done enough shopping for now.

Have you ever tried a capsule wardrobe? I am curious if I'll get bored wearing the same few items all summer, but I feel like I do that anyway so I'm not sure it'll be much of a change!

10 comments:

  1. I have zero interest in the capsule wardrobe. I wear certain pieces all the time (cardigans) but love variety in pants and tees.

    Love the Boden shorts, tempted to buy the Rachel ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely don't think I could ever do a capsule wardrobe but I am trying to do a much more minimalistic wardrobe than I ever did in the past. I think your choices are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been working towards this more but find it so hard too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been curious on this whole capsul wardrobe thing. I recently got rid of half my clothes because they didn't fit well or because I finally realized I don't feel "good" in them so I kind of feel like I am starting over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like a good capsule wardrobe. I tried it once, and I was not super successful. ahhaha. I picked some kind of challenging items to mix and match, so I gave up eventually. Overall, I'm much more of a variety type person, so I don't think a capsule wardrobe would work very well for me. Good luck with yours, I think your picks are realistic and great! I haven't purchased anything from Boden before, but I would like to someday. I think they have cute dresses, but sometimes I struggle to find a color/pattern that I see myself wearing a lot. hehe XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even heard of a capsule wardrobe, but now I'm super intrigued! I think these sound like some awesome staples though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've contemplated doing the capsule wardrobe thing but I just like having a vast array of clothes to pick from. I know it's silly and wasteful but I don't like wearing the same things over and over. (Although I certainly don't have a problem with people who do that. I kind of idolize them, lol.) I think you have a great selection! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been super intrigued by the capsule wardrobe idea too because I have WAY too many clothing items. I like the idea of doing this because it simplifies things. Sounds like you have a great handle on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always so intrigued by capsule wardrobes, so I can't wait to hear how this goes for you. It's the best when you find the perfect t-shirt, and your Toms are so cute, love that Swede also has a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such good style. I would live in Boden if I could. I don't have any of their things but I always admire it. Maybe once I start shopping for myself again, I'll keep an eye out for sales. I love that wrap and the watermelon shoes!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.