Tuesday, May 2, 2017

2017 Summer Reading List

Apparently I'm doing a mini "Books on Tuesday" blog series, with my Favorite Children's Books last week and the next monthly Show Us Your Books link-up next week.

I always have a list of TBR (to-be-read, for the uninitiated) books in my GoodReads, but this summer I decided to do something different and be a little more intentional about what I choose to read versus going with whatever happened to come in on library hold this week.

Usually I read 4(ish) books per month and this year I'm trying to read one non-fiction per month so that puts me at 12 fiction and 4 non-fiction for May through August.

How do I decide what books to read? 1) Recommendations from other bloggers, 2) the Amazon Editors' "Best Books of the Month" selections 3) Browsing at bookstores, and 4) GoodReads.

Here's what I have on the list right now:

Fiction -


The Atomic Weight of Love by Elizabeth J. Church
The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis
The Best of Adam Sharp by Graeme Simsion 
On Turpentine Lane by Elinor Lipman 


The Hearts of Men by Nickolas Butler
Celine by Peter Heller
The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova
The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan


Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny
The Midnight Cool by Lydia Peelle
As Good as Gone by Larry Watson
The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

Non-Fiction -


The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country by Helen Russell
Gracious: A Practical Primer on Charm, Tact, and Unsinkable Strength by Kelly Williams Brown
Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan
The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We've Lost in a World of Constant Connection by Michael Harris

Your turn! Any recommendations? I'm sure I can squeeze in a few more... Are there any books that you're most looking forward to reading this summer?

17 comments:

  1. I just found a bunch of magazines I've never read yet and thought maybe I'd read them this summer. I always think I'm gonna read a boo or two. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, an undiscovered trove of magazines sounds like fun!

      Delete
  2. I've been looking for good reading lists! This is so helpful thank you!

    http://littlewhytebook.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know what you think if you read any of them!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of any of these and I definitely just added some to my Goodreads!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you a happy summer of reading! Hopefully some these are good ones...

      Delete
  4. It looks like you have some great books coming up!! I'm really curious about The Year of Living Danishly -I love those type of books! I recommend anything by Gretchen Rubing if you haven't already read her - The Happiness Project, Happier at Home, Better Than Before.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe - I love that you can squeeze in a few more! I haven't read most of these except for Adam Sharp (just finished it this month via Netgalley) - it wasn't my favourite but it wasn't too bad! And of course you know how much I love Louise Penny - Bury your Dead was excellent in particular. My summer reading list includes Taylor Jenkins Reid's new book, Louise Penny's new book in August, and a bunch of others on my tbr list! I like the idea of making a loose list like this though - I *hate* the feeling of not knowing what to dive into next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to Bury Your Dead because The Brutal Telling seemed less stand-alone/finished than other books in the series so I'm hoping there is more to that story???

      Delete
  6. Oooh so many good ones! :) I like the idea of this! I have kind of a hard time with challenges or pre picking my books. It sometimes goes ok, but other times I get bored knowing what's coming up for me. I hope that it works well for you, I wish it did for me hahahah XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I have tried pre-picking my books so we'll see how it goes or I get bored and/or feel antsy and want to choose new ones!

      Delete
  7. I'm gonna copy you and Alexandra with these "to read" posts if y'all don't mind :)
    Your nonfiction books sound awesome! I can't wait to hear what you thought about them! I'm already gonna add some to my tbr list on goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I'm interested to see what's on your list.

      Delete
  8. Bury Your Dead is so so so good! I'm a sucker for good YA (sigh, I know) because I used to be a book reviewer, so most of the titles I'll be reader are YA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the Armande Gamache series. I don't read that much YA actually - Some is great, some is silly but fun, and some is just plain silly. :-)

      Delete
  9. You have such a good selection here! I love how you broke them up to be intentional in your non-fiction picks. I really enjoy it, but have hardly read any this year, and I really need to start making at least one every few books a priority.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.