Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Reading Roundup - April 2016

Book Day! As usual I'm linking up with Steph and Jana for Show us Your Books. Here's what I read in April:


1) The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell. I really liked most of this book, but any time you see an "If you liked Gone Girl..." quote on the cover you know what's coming. In this case I don't think it was necessary. I loved the setting of this book in Prohibition-era New York. The main character is a typist at a local police station who becomes enthralled with a beautiful, dramatic, and mysterious new girl in the secretarial pool. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if she'd played it straight rather than adding the twist ending, which I didn't really get. Is it a Fight Club scenario and there's actually only one person? Of if both people are real then who is who and who did what? I don't even know. [PS: Thanks to Audrey for sending me this one!]


2) The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny. This is the fifth installment in the Chief Inspector Armande Gamache mystery series, set in the idyllic (except for all the murders) small town of Three Pines in Quebec. I have been working my way slowly through the series. They remind me somewhat of Agatha Christie mysteries. Gamache is so dignified, with a from-another-era feel, and the town of Three Pines is very untouched-by-time, that I often forget the novels are set in the present day. They are a little slow-paced but in a good way. My only complaint with this one is that the previous four books, while part of a series, also work as standalone books, but this one seemed a little more unfinished.


3) The Danish Way of Parenting by Jessica Joelle Alexandra and Iben Dissing Sandahl. I'm pretty sure this book will be my shortest read in 2017 when I look at my year-end statistics on GoodReads, but it is packed with good information. I underlined throughout and should go back to skim through it weekly! Perhaps more beneficial than the specific "parenting" techniques are the strategies and ideas about how to improve MY attitude which will then impact how I parent the kids, such as "reframing" (aka "looking on the bright side") and the emphasis on the togetherness side of hygge.


4) The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. This book is much more suited to wintertime but the library hold system has a mind of its own. It is a magical fairy tale style book set in medieval Russia, filled with myths and legends. This is the style of magic that I like best: The real world with magic around the edges. I was sad to leave it when I was done but very happy to find out this is going to be a trilogy! Thanks to Alexandra for recommending this one.

That's all!

22 comments:

  1. The Bear and the Nightingale is on my list and I can't wait to read it. It sounds fantastic. I have heard a lot about Louise Penny books so I should check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you are saying about The Brutal Telling and it definitely did not resolve by the end - but be assured that it will be a bit more conclusive by the end of Bury Your Dead. I actually kind of felt like those two in the series were one very long book split in two.
    I want to read The Bear and the Nightingale and your description of it only heightens that. The Danish way of Parenting sounds wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first book in the Inspector Gamache series and need to pick up book 2. Like you, I suspect I will slowly make my way through the series. The Bear and the Nightingale sounds good - adding it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would get bored it I went through the whole Gamache series all at once but I have enjoyed them one at a time every couple months.

      Delete
  4. I'm really glad you liked The Other Typist. And I was equally confused about the ending (which just made me more angry, lol). I feel like I should've enjoyed this book, but the main characters wishy-washy attitude and moral compass just irritated me, lol.
    The Bear & The Nightingale is definitely on my list! Now the Danish parenting one is, too! (For future kids, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Other Typist and thought it was just okay in the end. It had a lot of promise to be awesome but it was still a fine read. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a parent, but The Danish Way of Parenting is still intriguing, since they ARE the happiest country.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been really into reading books about the Danish this year and keep starting sentences with "Well you know in Denmark..." or "Well you know the Danish..." do/think/act like THIS.

      Delete
  7. When I read The Other Typist, I don't think I realized there was going to be the twist at the end or that it was going to be suspenseful, I still enjoyed it though. I love the cover of Brutal Telling- I think I'll read the second book in the series sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I liked historical fiction because The Other Typist sounds like a different kind of book for me and sometimes that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't recall loving The Brutal telling as much as the others. The next few though, giddy up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to hear that!!! I will probably read Bury Your Dead sooner than later.

      Delete
  10. The Other Typist sounds so interesting and I LOVE the cover (totally a good reason to pick up a book lol). i have been waiting on The Bear and the Nightingale FOREVER. hurry up library!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Other Typist sounds super good! I definitely need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That last book isn't the type I usually read, but it sounds interesting! I might have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh YAY! I loooooooved The Bear and the Nightingale! I am so glad that you enjoyed it. I agree the magic was lovely. It wasn't too obvious, it was just enough to make it feel magical and still read like a historical fiction piece for me! :) I agree it's better for winter time, but I am glad that you enjoyed it nonetheless! I am glad that you liked The Other Typist as well, though it does sound confusing and I have heard that it's a little disjointed. Someday I will starty Penney's books, and I love the idea behind the Danish parenting one. I want to read it even though I don't have kiddos. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Bear and The Nightingale sounds like a fun one! I will reserve that one for winter like you suggested! Stopping by from SUYB linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm I'm reading Bringing Up Bebe, which is about French parenting styles...maybe I will try the Danish way too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't heard of any of these! I may try The Bear and the Nightingale in the winter, like you recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Add me to the list of us reading S l o w l y through the Inspector Gamache series. I read book 1 and need to add Book 2 to my summer reading. I also read a Danish Hygge book this month The Cozy Life. It was a quick read too. The Danish Book of Parenting has peaked my interest. Adding that to my non fiction tbr pile. Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at The Cozy Life as well. The hygge idea is so popular right now! With good reason though - I'd like to incorporate it better into my life.

      Delete
  18. I actually haven't heard of any of these! So interesting to run across books others are reading that I haven't seen before.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.