Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Currently - July 2017

Greetings! I haven't been around much on the blog lately (more on that below) so I think it's a good time for a "Currently" post. Here's what I've been...

Watching: The new season of Grantchester. This is one of the few shows that Jonathan and I watch together. We're a couple episodes behind but have been trying to watch one together on Sunday nights. It's a murder mystery set in England in the 1950's with very complex and well-developed characters.


Reading: I only have two books left from my summer reading list but neither has come in from the library yet, so I'm going to start Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy today. 


Also - Some books that Swede and I have enjoyed lately are: I Promise, Wolf Camp, Fairy Tales for Mr. Barker, Not Quite Narwhal, Be Quiet!, and Daddy Honk Honk.


Eating: Mostly vegetarian! We decided about a month ago to significantly cut back on eating meat and it's been going well so far. I've been working my way through a new cookbook - Love Real Food from the Cookie & Kate blog and my new favorite recipe is the taco salad on the cover - The quinoa & black bean "meat" is surprisingly, well, meaty! And delicious.


Also: Pie! I made this creamy coconut pie two weeks ago and a peach pie last weekend.


Loving: Running has been going really well! I am halfway through my training plan for the Thirsty 13 Half Marathon in late August. I've been doing the speedwork from Kara Goucher's plan which has been challenging yet awesome and confidence-building.

Also: Playing board games with Swede (and the fact that we can check out board games from the library), internet-free weekends, fresh peaches, and this series of photos of Abel.


Wearing: New glasses! You probably think they look similar to my old glasses but they are just different enough to be fun.


Also: The summer capsule wardrobe is still going strong! I haven't bought any new clothes (except for a new pair of shorts and a tank top for running) since May.

Thinking about: Social media, blogging, and the internet in general. I've mentioned in the past how I've struggled with (and ultimately quit altogether) other social media such as Facebook and Instagram. Blogging has been more personal for me than any other form of social media and I love the connections that I've made with fellow bloggers, but I still find myself getting too caught up in page views and comments and the ridiculous feeling than any given experience needs to be photographed and shared in order to be validated. I've been posting less frequently this month which I think might be a better balance for me.


Looking Forward To: My birthday is coming up on August 2nd!


That's all! What's new with you?


7 comments:

  1. Love your new glasses and Abel's awesome faces! Love. Also, coconut cream pie is one of my faves but I've never made it. How easy / hard is it?

    Social media is a timesuck and is both amazing and horrible. I hate how I'm always comparing myself and my life to others. I definitely think Facebook is the worst in that regard! I love Instagram though and blogging. I think I'll always love blogging because I don't look at it as social media but more of a community and building friendships. I definitely have had to cut back though. I honestly just shoot for one to two posts a week now when I used to be strict about three. A tough balance, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy early birthday. Do you have any fun plans?

    I love that you play board games with Swede. ( I swear I spelled her name right. If autocorrect changes it to Sweden after I submit my comment, I'm sorry...lol) I teach middle school and I am always surprised at the amount of kids that don't understand a board game. Probably because they only ever play video games which is sad.

    I totally understand where you are coming from on the social media front. I of course enjoy blogging and I do instagram but for some reason I despise Facebook. I can't pinpoint why since it's just people sharing just like we do on the blog and on IG but somehow I find it annoying and I rarely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those new glasses are so cute! Is Grantchester on Netflix? I have a friend who likes it, and we've been watching Miss Fisher but have been missing out on new shows with my inlaws. They just haven't grabbed us. So maybe that would be good next! :) Social media can be tough! Do what you need to do! I love the community aspect, and I figure as long as I am documenting things I love and want to write about anyhow, the rest shouldn't matter too much. :) BUt I understand, the pressure is still there for sure! Glad you are reading and playing lots of games. I haven't had too much time for that recently! Happy almost bday! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first of all, that pie looks divine! I wish I was a better baker...I'm okay. I hate following recipes, which is why I'm a much better cook haha

    In terms of the blogging balance and social media, I feel you. I used to have a book blog prior to marriage and babies, and I did 30+ posts a month, and this - 9-10 - is so much better for me. I love using my blog as a diary, almost, and I love IG as my picture-keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been reading at all! I just cannot get into a groove with it these days.
    I have been posting less two and rarely look at my stats these days. I have come to realize that its a hobby for me and so I stay away from any stats - though it can be hard to!
    Glad running is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do what you need to do to stay sane and happy ;)
    Look at how big Abel is getting!! Wow! I love the glasses! & good for you guys for going more vegetarian. I doubt I could convince the husband to do that... lol!
    I definitely think I need to check out that show. Have you watched Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries? That's a great show, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!! I honestly don't pay attention to page views at all because my blogging is so inconsistent. I love to just write whenever I have time. I'm hoping to get on a more regular schedule with it again someday, but for now, it is what it is (a little bit of everything). Do whatever makes you happiest!!! :)
    Love the new glasses and the adorable pics of Abel!!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.