Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Reading Roundup - June 2017

Book Day! As usual I'm linking up with Steph and Jana for Show Us Your Books. 

Here's what I read in June.


1) As Good As Gone by Larry Watson. 3/5 stars. Set in Montana in the 1960's, aging cowboy Calvin Sidey returns reluctantly to his hometown to look after his grandchildren for a week. This book is about his Wild West "shoot first ask questions later" mentality coming into conflict with the changing and modernizing world. I liked it but didn't love it. The end was a little disappointing.


2) The Atomic Weight of Love by Elizabeth J. Church. 3/5 stars. Meridian Wallace abandons her Ph.D program in ornithology to follow her husband to Los Alamos in the last years of WWII as he works with other scientist to develop the atomic bomb. The book follows her through the '50's and '60's as she struggles to come to terms with that decision and to discover and develop herself as a scientist and a woman apart from the expectations of post-war society. It was OK but not great.


3) Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny. 4/5 stars. This is the sixth book in the Chief Inspector Armande Gamache mystery series and one of my favorites so far. I enjoy the character development from one book to the next, especially with Jean-Guy Beauvoir in this one. I loved the setting during Carnaval in Quebec City. It did wrap up some unanswered questions from the fifth book as well.


4) Celine by Peter Heller. 5/5 stars. I think this is my favorite book of the year so far. Celine is a WASP-y private investigator who has made a career of reuniting families in an attempt to made amends for her own personal tragedy in the past, which we glimpse through flashbacks. She takes a case for a woman named Gabriela whose father went missing twenty years ago from Yellowstone National Park. The writing is so beautiful, especially the descriptions of nature as they move from Colorado through Wyoming and Montana. The characters are fascinating and complex, well-developed yet mysterious. 


5) Gracious: A Practical Primer on Charm, Tact, and Unsinkable Strength by Kelly Williams Brown. 4/5 stars. This was my non-fiction pick of the month and I quite enjoyed (most of) it. The writing is very funny and conversational while still imparting plenty of good advice how to "practice the arts of kindness, thoughtfulness, good manners, humanity, and basic decency" no matter what the situation. I did enjoy (and find more practical) some chapters more than others, especially, for example, as pertaining to hosting and attending elegant parties which is pretty infrequent for me lately.


6) The Best of Adam Sharp by Graeme Simsion. 2/5 stars. I loved The Rosie Project but this one was a miss for me. Adam Sharp and Angelina Brown had a brief and intense relationship in their twenties which Adam was never able to truly leave behind. Now, on the cusp of turning 50, he may have the opportunity to rekindle the spark. The first half of the book was OK although Adam is a fairly lackluster hero. I enjoyed the music playlist tie-in. The second half of the book is a little weird. I didn't really like the characters or understand their motivations and decisions at all.

That's all! What have you been reading lately?

20 comments:

  1. I just went to add Celine and it was already on my list, but I'm definitely going to bump it up now. With your review, and Heather's, I think it might be time to circle back to the 2nd Louise Penny book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celine sounds like my kind of book. I just added it to my Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we were talking about, I share your exact thoughts on the Adam Sharp book. It was such a weird reading experience and I kept hoping for it to get better. Bury Your Dead was one of my favourites of the series. A Trick of the Light (#7) wasn't quite as good but I loooooved #8 and #9. :) Celine sounds good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celine sounds really interesting. Adding it to my TBR! Like I just commented on Heather's blog - I need to pick book 2 in the Inspector Gamache series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like Celine! And yes - You should definitely keep reading the Gamache series - They keep getting better and better!

      Delete
  5. Adding Celine and Gracious to my list! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for a book that scott and I would both enjoy (and see if I can get it in audio form) for our upcoming road trip. Do we have to have already read the other books in the series to understand "Bury your dead"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Adam Sharp but it definitely was not as good as The Rosie Project (The Rosie Effect was a DNF for me). I feel like he's fallen into a pattern with his books and it's not a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally adding Celine to my list!! Bury Your Dead sounds intriguing too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read Adam Sharp, and I will read it, but I ain't gonna lie...I'm worried. haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know Celine but it sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have not heard any good things from the adam sharp book. such a bummer because the rosie project was so good. adding Celine to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had taken The Best of Adam Sharpe out from the library but returned it because I wasn't going to get to it. Maybe a good idea?! I, like you enjoyed The Rosie Project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that was a good idea! I would not recommend Adam Sharp, especially not to someone who liked Rosie because it's not at all the same.

      Delete
  13. You've totally intrigued me with Celine - sounds like a good read, I'll check it out. The Atomic Weight of Love sounds like it would be good - sad to hear it disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sound of all these! I just started The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer, and I just finished reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soooo behind on my blog reading. Obviously.. oy. I believe I added Celine to my TBR when I saw your rating on goodreads, but I'm going to double check. I want to start Louise Penny someday. I haven't been reading too much. I tend to either craft or read, but not usually both in one day. SO I've been crafting more lately. Hoping to read a few books this month though. Should probably get on that. :P Bummer about the Simison novel, but I've heard that many times now. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm currently reading "Adulting " by Kelly Williams Brown. I didn't realize that Gracious: A Practical Primer on Charm, Tact, and Unsinkable Strength was also written by her. I may add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.