Sunday, August 6, 2017

Birthday Week 2017

Hello! I hope that August is going well for you so far. I'm just finishing a really nice week of "staycation" and birthday celebrations.

A rare photo of the whole family together!

On Tuesday I went hiking at Engineer Mountain with my dad and my brother, who was visiting from Las Vegas. The wildflowers were spectacular.




My birthday was on Wednesday. We had dinner with my parents and I asked for the exact same meal as last year - ribs, mac & cheese, spinach salad, fruit salad, although instead of an ice cream cake we tried the Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake from King Arthur. [Verdict: Very good but I haven't quit the search for the absolutely perfect chocolate cake, or maybe I should take those high altitude adjustments more seriously.]



Jonathan bought me many bouquets of flowers and a picnic basket. On Thursday I had a pedicure in the morning then we went for a picnic by the river.





We did have a tough day on Friday as both kids didn't sleep well the night before (which is rare in Swede's case but unfortunately not that rare in Abel's) and consequently we spent the day alternating between manic and melt-down.

Other happenings: We went to the pool three times - There is a fun kids area with water slides, sprinklers, fountains, and a lazy river. I went running several times, of course, and spent time reading. Jonathan and I finished the third season of Grantchester. We visited with my parents and brother. We went to the library, to church, and to a birthday party at the park for one of Swede's school friends.

Abel's latest favorite new word is "truck."

Other delicious things we ate: We went out for crepes downtown, and had ice cream with Jonathan's parents. We had Chinese take-out for dinner one night and Abel, who has been a very picky eater later, could not get enough lo mein. Swede and I baked Not-So-Boring Bran Muffins from Seriously Delish as an antidote to all the leftover chocolate cake.

Baking is seriously business.

Last summer I used my vacation to take off every Friday but this year I decided to take off one week a month in June, July, and August. Four-day work weeks are nice but a whole week off, even - and maybe especially - if you don't go anywhere, feels like a really nice long break.

That's all! Tell me: What's the best birthday you've ever had? The best birthday cake?

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great birthday week! It's nice to have an entire week off but it's also nice to not have to work on Fridays. Where you able to have Fridays off all year long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying for a piece of that cake. Love your whole birthday meal, and flowers. My favorite chocolate cake is my mom's. It's not dry, but gooey inside like just slightly under-baked and I love it.

    A great staycation + birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had an amazing celebration.

    Caleb is the world's pickiest eater and also LOVES Lo Mein. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had lots of fun! I love the hike you did-so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun! I love all those bouquets! That's so sweet :) Happy belated Birthday!! I'm glad it was a good week (minus a few meltdowns, lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun week! Staycations can be so lovely. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! It sounds like a great one, and I love seeing that full family picture! :) How sweet that he bought you so many flowers. I love it! Staycations are great, I'm not very good at taking them though! hahaha I reviewed a cake cookbook on Netgalley last year called Cake Magic. I don't even really like cake... but these cakes are amazing, I kid you not. The secret is probably the syrup component. I cannot recommend it enough. But be careful. The cakes are huge and you'll want to make them all the time and have so much leftover cake! hahahaha :P Seriously though, give it a try! I had a great birthday this year. Hanging out with KC and doing fun things together and with friends was wonderful. I don't love my birthday, so it was a nice change. Anyhow, I hope this year is your best year yet! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.